Monday, September 2, 2013

Types of Cameras


Over the course of this blog I will be using various different cameras to capture and document the small wonders hidden in our own backyard.


DSLR Nikon:
Pamela has a DSLR which I will occasionally borrow. The DSLR pictures will be by far the most crisp and clear pictures on this blog. I plan on giving her a macro lens as a gift (secretly I'll be getting it for myself) which I'm really excited about because some of the best insect pictures I’ve seen have been taken with one.

European paper wasp - actually taken with a Canon DSLR


Pentax Optio RZ18:
My Pentax purchase occurred like how many material goods are acquired these days – from a daily deal website.  I immediately pounced on the deal when I saw that it had 16.0 megapixels and had an18x optical zoom. Upon purchasing it, I dubbed it my “Adventure Camera” and now I take it with me on the more rugged travels where the iPhone and the DSLR stay home. The zoom is by far my favorite part, and besides some strange ambient light correction, it’s a solid camera that has produced some great pictures.

A squirrel, asking for another helping of gruel

iPhone:
The camera on my iPhone is actually pretty good, and when used correctly it can create very clear and crisp macro photos. As it is my phone, I will always have it on me, so the majority of the photos taken with it are from the everyday adventures I go on. I am now finding that it is these everyday adventures that often yield the most interesting and candid photos. Occasionally these photos will go through the filters and the editing of Instagram, so don’t judge.

A mama house spider with her babies, found in the electrical box of my sisters new house


Microscope:
One of the advantages of working at a facility that handles microelectronics is the abundance of microscopes. While we do have a microscope/camera setup that goes up to 10x, the camera is quite old and has low resolution. Some of these photos will be taken with my iPhone peering through the microscope eyes. The view through the microscope is a revealing one that shows how complex and fascinating small creatures can be. Images taken with a microscope will be part of my "under-scoped" series.

A Boxelder bug, several times magnified
Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment. Please make sure your comment is relevant to my content and isn't selling anything. :) And, I'm checking to make sure you're human!